Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Beauty of Beech

Hi Folks
I recently completed a large order of Moulding planes  - having spent many hours crafting these I found myself reflecting again on what a great timber Beech is for wooden planes. Cut on the quarter it reveals its medullary ray figure, transforming into a 3D show of beauty, Beech is a handsome stable timber. And it is close grained and hard wearing (as centuries of hard worked examples will attest!)
So here are a few photo's - I know I've been rubbish keeping the blog up to date. I will try harder :)

Cheers
Philly




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look really nice, Phil.

Cheers ;-)

Paul Chapman

Philly said...

Thanks, Paul!

Mr Turner said...

Lovely looking set Phil, good to see you`re keeping busy.

Cheers.

Doug.

DaveL said...

Hi Phil,
Are they box wood strips in the first picture?
Regards,
Dave

Philly said...

Thanks Doug - it's good to be busy! :)

Dave - yes, it's Box inserts on the areas of heavy wear.
Cheers
Philly