Friday, January 12, 2007

Vices and Vises....


Hi Folks
Made an upgrade to my workbench last night. It was time for a new vice - the old one has been getting more and more cranky as time goes by. The final stroke was glancing through Axminsters web-site one night (my one vise!) £30 for a 9 inch quick release vice! Needless to say an order was placed and, as usual, it appeared on my doorstep the next day.
The old one unbolted pretty easily but I need to recess the face of the new vice into the front rail of the bench. Bring out the router..........
With that task complete, a little cleanup chopping with the Jap chisels and fine tuning with a block plane it was time to bolt the new one in place. I cut down the front jaw of the old vice and screwed that into place and Voila!
In use the new vice hold small and large pieces very tightly - I feel spoilt! And the quick release mechanism is a dream (reminds me of the bench in my woodwork classes in school). An excellent upgrade to my bench and worth the effort. Just need to clean all the Iroko dust from all over the 'Shop now.........
Oh, and I ordered some Veritas bench pups for use with the pop-up dog on the new vice. That should give me even more "holding ability".
Cheers
Philly

3 comments:

rookster said...

Axminsters? URL please?

Philly said...

Rob
You will love this one...
www.axminster.co.uk
My fave tool shop-their mail order service is second to none!
Here's the link for the vice....

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Quick-Release-Carpenters-Wood-Vice-29796.htm
Cheers
Phil

rookster said...

Thanks!