Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Maine Man.....


Work on the new smoother infill is coming along well. With the sole sweated on and filed back and a little extra work on the sides it looks very promising. I started milling the frog and insides of the casting but the chuck was binding on the sides. So a longer mill bit is needed to sucessfully finish that. They are amazingly cheap compared to router cutters!
The final table mat has been veneered so am awaiting a warm day to spray the lacquer.
Had a nice little package waiting for me when I got home - some skew chisels from the 'Lil Old Tool Shop in Maine ;) Overkill??? Maybe, but they sure are nice......
I have also had a brainwave for a new project idea. I love it when the brain juices start flowing, very exciting! Expect more details as the design comes together.........
Have a good week,
Philly

10 comments:

Nick Webb said...

I usually find that when juices are flowing from bits of meat its 'cos they're fried.

So why the defection from Good Wood may I ask?

Philly said...

Tony
You know me! Never one to knowly gloat.......;)
Nick
Nah, different juices. "Inspirado"!
Well Good Wood was being sold and has been in limbo for months. I used to write for the Woodworker ages ago and he's been chasing me, so voila. Oh, and Magicalia (who own The Woodworker , amongst others) has just bought Good Wood. It's a funny old world....;)
Cheers
Phil

Alf said...

Cripes, Phil, you need to have confidence that everything will turn out all right when it comes to doing these infills, don't you? It'd scare me to death. Presumably you've got your infill wood in mind? MDF...? ;)

As for the LNs, well they look really nice, but skews are parers, so in A2? Sorry, I don't think so, Thomas.

Philly said...

Al
After the success of the first one it feels much easier second time around. As you guessed, I have been considering my fave plane timber (MDF) but will probably settle for either Pau Rosa or Rosewood. Any over options?
I currently use a B+Q value chisel ground back on the sides as a "two-in-one" skew. So if that worked o.k. I'm sure the posh ones will cope. It's not as if they'll be removing much material. I'll report back on their usefulness.
Cheers
Phil

rookster said...

You're inspiring me with these infil planes. I'm assuming these were kits? Where did you get them? Can't wait to see how you finish the MDF insert ;)

Anonymous said...

Philly, before you dream up and more projects do you think you can get that shop stool finished.... or did I miss it?

Andy

Philly said...

Rob
I bought the plane castings from Bristol Designs (yes, in Bristol) They cost about £30 each. They also sell the planes ready made (around £300. Sadly they don't have a website but I do have their address if you want to order a catalogue.
As to MDF - well did you see this one?? ;)
http://www.philsville.co.uk/wooden_plane.htm

Andy
No, you didn't miss it:(
The stool had me beat after various rear hoop failures. I will be having another go at it soon - promise!
Best regards
Phil

Anonymous said...

Hey Phil, did you ever finish this infill? Never saw another post regarding it.

Swanz

Philly said...

Swanz
Sorry - got distracted with other projects :( Maybe I'll get it finished now you mention it.
Cheers
Phil

Anonymous said...

No prob, I was just curious. thx

Swanz