Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Gone All Skewish...


Box numero two is nearly done-just need to chop the lid off and line it. A coat of oil has given it a nice sheen. You notice the 140 nonchalently sat in the pic? It's not just a gloat there is a story...
After wiping the oil on the box last night I thought I'd do a little sharpening. Block plane, bullnose, ah! What about the 140? That wicked skew means it'll probably be freehand (as I can't be bothered to find Derek's mkII settings). Swipe, swipe. Yes, done myself proud. Wipe the blade down and oil it, put the blade back in the body. Well, nearly. I dropped it about three inches before I made it, putting three lovely dings in the edge........... Not the kinda dings you hone out. Sometimes you wish you just left well alone.
The Woodkateers Axminster trip went well. The chaps all had a good time, we also popped to a nearby village called (and I'm not making this up) Beer. There's a little antique shop that Martin knew that sells tools. Not a bad selection, but I left with two dozen old copies of Fine Woodworking (some dated 1984!!) 75p each? Done! We had to sample the local speciality after that.
Oh, and Waka spent a fortune that day. But whats new? ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee being a johhny foriegner member of UK Workshop I look jealously on when you guys get together!

Happy spending

Andy Boyd

Alf said...

Andy, same here. Seems to me a get together in Dorset is the obvious solution to the lack of Axminster Show this year. Who of the Woodkateers has the biggest w'shop I wonder...?

Phil, are you seriously claiming that's all you bought? 'Cos I simply don't believe you. Bad luck on the skew block blade; don'tcha just hate it when that happens? Well obviously you do. D'oh.

Philly said...

Andy
If you're ever in the country just shout!
Alf
The Woodkateer Wood Extravaganza?? Wow, great idea! I know at least three people who would go....;)
As to the biggest workshop-that's a tie between me and Martin at the moment. But I accepted an offer on the house yesterday so that may change......
The skew. I felt like such a wally. Memo to self-when tired go indoors. When tired go indoors...
Purchases?? Weeeell. I did buy a rather useful (maybe) granite surface plate. 12 x 9 x 2 inch. VERY flat (with certificate). Oh, and the Kreg bench hold-down. I'll post more on that soon. And some band clamps. And a router bit cupboard. I know, I know! It was on sale, o.k.!
I am beyond hope.....
Philly

Alf said...

A router bit cupboard?! It can't possibly be big enough... And you're going to be looking down the barrel of a workshop move, eh? Fun.

Anonymous said...

Bugger about that blade :( Did you grind them out OK?

Lovely boxes though mate, particularly the purpleheart

Cheers

Tony

Philly said...

Tony
I honed out the worst so i could at least pretend it works......
The Tormek will be coming out to play on the weekend, methinks ;)
Cheers
Philly